Handling Conflict in Relationships
In this Webinar:
Many couples are facing new strains on their relationship that are making life at home all the more difficult. In a recent survey, only 18 percent of couples reported satisfaction in communication with their partner. Yet, with the rise in new challenges comes an opportunity to learn long-term strategies to overcome obstacles and deepen connection. In this introspective and enlightening webinar, Dr. Lisa Firestone will describe how adopting certain principles can help couples use this time to not just survive but to thrive.
Drawing on more than 30 years of research, theory, and clinical experience with couples, Dr. Firestone will explore how each person’s internal defenses formed in childhood are often at the root of the deepest conflict or distress in their relationships, even in the face of external hardships. As one national survey showed “how couples argue was more related to divorce potential than was what they argue about.” This presentation is therefore designed to empower individuals to understand the dynamics that hurt their closest relationships and learn healthier strategies to handle stress and conflict. By taking a curious, open, and introspective approach to the problems they are experiencing, people can truly transform their relationships.
This presentation offers two essential things:
- A pathway to understanding the reactions and defenses that hurt one’s close relationships
- Transformative principles and techniques that lead to more loving and satisfying connections
- Recognize how methods or defenses formed to deal with pain and anxiety in childhood later come to hinder people as adults in their ability to develop and sustain close relationships
- Summarize the concept of the fantasy bond, an imaginary connection formed with their partner that relieves anxiety, yet leads to deterioration in relating
- Apply the techniques of Voice Therapy to help partners identify and challenge negative thoughts toward themselves and their partner
- Describe the technique of unilateral disarmament in mediating conflict between couples
Once payment is received, you will be emailed a full video recording of this webinar along with all presentation materials.
Continuing Education Information